Sunday, February 28, 2010

Physical Conversation


Vie:

A point of balance. When the horse, male, female, gelding or mare, finds herself. She trots along like nothing could phase the perfect balance she has found in her own movements. She moves, trot, stepping, lifting legs with a round back and neck to match.

I hold her with my reins. Each time I tug, adjust, she moves. That the inner rein is what makes her curve and the outer gives her stability to move with effortlessness that looks to come from her alone.

We move into the canter and find a resistance. There is a tension.

This is one of the most beautiful examples of two bodies working together for joint purpose, moderated by respective movements which affect the other so intensively that one can go from shaky to balanced and vice versa, depending on what the other does.

I call it my physical conversation. We are not talking, we don't speak each others language….. but, we can move together. Almost as dancers do, or lovers.

The words physical conversation keep cropping up as we trot in circles. For that, is what it is.. …a physical conversation.


Seal:

He and I start popping over rails. Flying over first a foot and a half, then a series of two jumps and then four feet. Never have I felt so connected, yet not, to a horse. We are in harmony, flying and landing in unison, not tied. Members on a two part team, sort of separate but totally connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment